Saturday, November 19, 2011

Quit Smoking and Double Your Survival | StrongerThanCancer

Why Smoking is Such a Bad Idea | StrongerThanCancer

I don't smoke, and I never have smoked. I would wonder why anyone in the world would smoke, except that I know several intelligent people who smoke and I have to accept that it will always be something I don't understand.

But the number one reason most people tell you not to smoke is: Smoking Causes Cancer.

The interesting fact of my personal experience, is that although I never smoked - I got cancer. To my knowledge, the people in my life who do smoke, do not have cancer.

So, cancer is a complicated thing. I feel like it is caused by a combination of stressors to the immune system: stress, lack of sleep, relationship problems, poor diet, lack of exercise, exposure to toxins in our environment... there is a lot that goes into cancer, so although I never smoked, I also did not listen to my body when it was getting run down.

But if you smoke, you are just adding that one extra push toward cancer -

Yes, I got cancer and never smoked. Maybe if I did smoke, I wouldn't have recovered as well as I did. Maybe the cancer would have spread. Who knows how smoking would affect the 'survival' outcome. We know it increases the risk of getting cancer - but smoking also affects survival - or rather if you quit, you improve your chances of survival: Smokers With Cancer Can Quit and Double Survival!!

When we are diagnosed with cancer, we are always thinking, "How did I get this?" Hopefully, we move past this and ask ourselves, "How can I prevent this from happening again?"

Regardless of what factors caused your cancer, if you currently smoke - quit now.

If you need help - go to smokefree.gov - it is a wonderful resource.

There are many reasons to quit, health reasons and social reasons - but do it BECAUSE IT FEELS GOOD!!




No comments:

Post a Comment