Friday, November 11, 2011

A Mindful Approach to Cancer

As time goes by, and it has been 5 years since my diagnosis, it becomes clear that not enough attention is given to the emotional trauma that a cancer diagnosis brings about.

Everyone expresses concern, your team of doctors are doing everything they can, there are support groups - but there is still something missing.  You are still lost in a confusion of emotions.  You still feel lost.

I am sorry that I did not discover this book when I was going through treatment.  I'm sorry that I did not discover this book when I was just getting back on my feet after cancer treatment.  But I am glad that I found it now.  Five years after my diagnosis and treatment, I am still struggling with the same emotions.  I am struggling to move beyond the cancer.  I still have emotional healing to do, and the perspective given in Mindfulness-Based Cancer Recovery: A Step-by-Step MBSR Approach to Help You Cope with Treatment and Reclaim Your Liferegardless of where you are in your cancer journey, helps you to become whole again.



I hope in the future, all cancer treatment is provided alongside mindfulness coaching.  I think more patients will recover with better results, rather than just surviving the battlefield of chemotherapy and radiation, they can begin to embrace their lives and move away from fear and toward happiness and greater fulfillment.


No comments:

Post a Comment